FAQs - Golf Professionals

Julian Krinsky Camps & Programs

Camp Life

Where will I be living?
You will be living in a private dorm room at Haverford College or Cabrini College located in the prestigious Main Line suburbs of Philadelphia. Both colleges are located in very safe neighborhoods, and security on campus is very good. You will receive a welcome pack and room key on arrival. It is up to you to keep your room locked, as we will not be responsible for lost or stolen property. If the key is lost, you will be responsible for the $100 replacement fee charged by the college.

The campuses are smoke free, tobacco free and alcohol free. You will be required to abide by these restrictions while on campus and at any time you are with campers or involved in JK programs.

Staff at Cabrini and Haverford colleges may be required to relocate for the last one or two weeks of camp, and we will make this transition as easy as possible.

What food is offered?
JKCP provides meals for its staff during working hours. Golf Professionals eat breakfast and dinner in the college cafeteria along with campers and counselors. College food service prepares quality food with a variety of choices for even the pickiest of eaters. The cafeteria is closed on Wednesday nights and Saturday nights, so you will have to make your own arrangements for those two meals. Because your social interaction with campers is essential to their enjoyment of camp, we ask that you sit among campers and not just with other pros. Since you are normally on route to a golf course at lunch time, your group will usually have lunch at food establishments such as Subway, Peace a Pizza, Wendy's or McDonald's. JKCP covers reasonable costs of meals you purchase during working hours. You will be responsible for meals on your time off.

Where can I do my laundry?
Laundry facilities are available on-site. It costs about $1.75 per load of wash. It is not necessary to bring laundry detergent with you. You can purchase detergent nearby for about $5.00.

How can people get in touch with me?
By phone - Although each individual camp will have its own office telephone line, campers and staff are not permitted to use camp phones for personal calls. At each college campus there are numerous public telephones available for use during your time off. We recommend that you use calling cards for these calls. In an emergency you may be contacted through our main office at 1-866-TRY-JKCP or 610-265-9401. A message will be taken and passed on to you.

Mail - All incoming mail goes through our main office and is delivered to the camps on a daily basis. Your mailing address will be:
      Your Name
      Camp Name
      c/o Julian Krinsky Camps & Programs
      610 South Henderson Rd
      King of Prussia, PA 19406 USA

E-Mail- You will be able to access your web-based email only at certain times throughout the summer. This includes accounts like AOL, Hotmail, and Yahoo.

When do I get paid?
You will be paid weekly on Friday at the end of the day's session. Completed time sheets are due by Monday morning for the previous week. Checks can be cashed at any Wachovia bank branch and they will require a photo ID, such as your drivers license or passport. Once you receive your social security number you can open a check account with an ATM card for banking and safety of your money.

What can I do on my days off?
The options are unlimited. A 20-minute train ride will take you to historic Philadelphia - the birthplace of America and a city rich with art, culture, history and fun. New York, Washington DC, Baltimore and Atlantic City are all accessible by train as well. There will be several organized trips throughout the summer to some of these destinations.

The King of Prussia Mall, the largest retail shopping mall in the US, is just a short ride by car or bus from Haverford and Cabrini College.

Check out these other helpful links for more information about Philadelphia and its surrounding suburbs.

   www.gophila.com - All the latest on what to see in Philadelphia
   www.pcvb.org/ab_phil/philamaps.asp - Philadelphia Convention Center and Visitors Bureau, great overview of the city, includes maps and directions.
How will I get around town?
We provide daily transportation to and from the golf course for all of our pros each day. Because our camps are on college campuses, you can find most of what you need within walking distance.

Generally the trains are very affordable and take you to most places of interest. Train tickets can be purchased at local stations and sometimes on the train. Occasionally you may be able to find a driver who would be willing to take your group somewhere in exchange for paying his or her expenses for the trip. You should not expect camp vehicles to be available for your personal use.

How much golf will I get to play?
Since you will be teaching golf Monday through Friday, it will difficult to find time to play golf during the week. On weekends, however, you can participate in special trips organized for golf pros which will include golf outings as well as trips to destinations such as New York City, Washington DC or Atlantic City. Realistically, you can expect to play golf 3-5 times during the summer.

What if I need medical attention while at camp?
Our camps are staffed with registered nurses that are your first point of contact in a non-emergency. We are minutes from an emergency room and a general practitioner. Julian Krinsky Camps & Programs will pay for all minor medical needs that can be dealt with on campus.

International pros hired through an agency should consult with their agency about health insurance. International pros coming to the US on a JKCP visa receive limited health insurance from JKCP, which is valid for the period of your contract. This is not a general health insurance policy, but an interim, limited benefit period, travel medical program intended for use while away from your home country. Unlike traditional health insurance policies, this group program does not guarantee payment to a facility or individual for medical expenses until the insurance company determines that it is an eligible expense. You can and possibly should have additional insurance as each doctor's visit will require $50 co-pay.

(See Insurance Information PDF form for more details on health insurance for internationals on JKCP visas.)

What is expected of me?

How do I need to dress?
Professional appearance is essential as we strive to convey excellence in all we do. We provide you with five JK staff shirts. Please wear a clean and non-wrinkled staff shirt at all times when you are working or involved in camp programs. If you appear with an untidy shirt, we will provide you with a new one and charge you $10 for the additional shirt. A belt must be worn and shirts must be tucked into your pants. Khaki shorts or slacks and golf shoes or sneakers are required for your uniform. Caps will also be provided to you. We suggest you carry a small backpack during the day for essential items. Explore our website to see photos of typical staff and our dress expectations.

What else do I need to know about personal appearance?
There is more to presenting a professional image than the clothes you wear. We have learned from parent feedback that some body piercings, tattoos and certain hair styles make an unfavorable impression on parents. In deference to these concerns, our policy prohibits body piercings (other than discreet earrings), tattoos, or unconventional hair coloring or style. If you have a piercing such as a nose ring, we expect you to remove it for the duration of the summer. If you have any questions or concerns about this policy, please speak to us before your arrival at camp.

How is camper discipline handled?
We strive to treat our campers like mature adults and expect them to treat us with the same courtesy. America may not be like other countries with regard to the general treatment of children. Generally, American children are encouraged to be inquisitive, independent and outspoken. Please consider these attributes positively and try to be as helpful as possible at all times.

Should a camper's behavior become disruptive to your instruction, you must use your best judgment. If a situation should arise where disciplinary action needs to be taken, please see a member of the head staff immediately and have them deal with the situation for you.

What will I be doing when I'm not teaching golf?
At times, you may be asked to accompany campers to recreational activities. Although we want you to enjoy the activity with the campers, your first responsibility is to the campers and to be attentive to their needs. You must wear the camp uniform and remember that you are a responsible representative of our organization during these activities. Pros are welcome to attend evening activities such as dances, talent shows, off campus trips, etc. as space allows. There will be an awards ceremony on Friday evenings and participation is optional.

Traveling to Camp

What shall I bring?
Summer is hot and humid in Philadelphia (80F - 100F, 27C - 37C), so plan to wear comfortable cool clothing. Sandals are a good idea for your days off, but are not permitted with the uniform. Besides uniform clothing (see "How do I need to dress?") you will need casual clothing for after hours and smart casual clothing for weekend activity and going out. You should bring enough clothes to last a week without washing. Coin-operated laundry facilities are available on all campuses.

Soap, shampoo, toothpaste, sunscreen and other personal items are fairly cheap in the USA, so you don't need to weight yourself down with a summer's worth of supplies.

Electrical appliances require a dual voltage switch and a 2-pin adaptor for 110 volt outlets, which are standard in the US. Travel steam irons are a great help to keep your clothes looking well ironed.

Internationals must keep the following items with them at all times when traveling:

  •ADriver's license, international driver's license
  •ACamp contract
  •AJKCP contact information (found on the Travel Information PDF form)
  •AA pen

We advise everyone to carry essential items in your carry-on bag in the event that your luggage should go astray. Here are some items we suggest you carry on:

  •Return airline tickets
  •Personal items such as glasses, contacts, medications
  •Travelers' checks, credit cards and/or cash
  •Alarm clock
  •Valuable items (cameras, personal music devices)
  •One day's worth of uniform clothing

How will I get to camp?
You must complete the Arrival Departure PDF Form and return it to us by April 30th so that we can coordinate your pick up.

Before you leave home, print out the Travel Information PDF Form and carry it with you when you travel.

If you are scheduled to start on June 12 (with the majority of our staff), please arrive by 4:00 p.m. local time at Philadelphia International Airport or Newark Liberty International Airport so that we can coordinate your transportation with others who are arriving on that day. Our international pros and some US pros commonly arrive by plane to Philadelphia International Airport or Newark Liberty International Airport. Some US pros choose to come by Amtrak train to Philadelphia's 30th Street Station or by Greyhound or Capital bus lines to King of Prussia Station.

If you are scheduled to arrive at camp on a day other than June 12, you will have to arrange your own transportation to Philadelphia International Airport or 30th Street Station in Philadelphia (via Amtrak or Greyhound) and we will pick you up there.

Because flights are often delayed or canceled, we will not send someone to get you until you have arrived. Once you have arrived safely at your destination airport or train station, call Steve Robertson and he will let you know where and when to meet your ride. If you get Steve's voicemail, leave a detailed message with information about where you are and a call-back (cell) number if possible. If you do not have a call-back number, leave detailed information about your location, and call Steve back in 30 minutes to receive further instructions. This information is summarized in the Travel Information PDF Form.

What if my plans change after completing my "Arrival Departure Form"?
Please notify Steve Robertson of any changes to your travel plans as soon as you become aware of them. Prior to departure you can reach Steve at 1-866-TRY-JKCP.

Where can I find maps and routes for local airports and train stations?
Simply follow these links:

   •Newark Liberty International Airport
   •King of Prussia Station

What if I still have questions?
Although we've tried to address the most frequently asked questions, you may still have concerns or areas that need clarification. That is to be expected. Orientation week will answer most of your questions. If you have a question or concern that must be answered before your arrival, you may call Steve Robertson or Grant Griffiths at 1-866-TRY-JKCP or email us at or .

International Staff

What is a Social Security Number?
A Social Security number is a form of identification issued by the US government to individuals for census purposes.

Why do I need a Social Security Number?
Most importantly, it's the law. You must have a Social Security number to work and receive a salary in the US. Social security numbers are also required to open a bank account, which will allow you to deposit your paycheck, make cash withdrawals, wire transfer to an account at home, write checks, and use a debit/credit card for purchases at most retailers.

How do I get a Social Security number?
Representatives from Social Security Administration will be on campus during orientation week to assist you in obtaining a social security number. There are certain documents you will be required to produce to apply for a social security number, several of which you will have only after you have received your visa.

Please bring copies of the following forms with you to camp, because access to a copy machine at camp will be extremely limited:

      •The visa page in your passport
      •The Photo page of your passport

How do I get a visa?
A citizen of a foreign country who wishes to enter the United States to work as a camp counselor must first obtain a nonimmigrant (J) visa. Before you can apply for a J visa you must be accepted for the Exchange Visitor Program through a Department of State designated sponsor.

JKCP will be your designated sponsor (unless you are coming to the U.S. via an agency such as CCUSA or BUNAC, in which case the agency is your designated sponsor). As your designated sponsor, JKCP must issue a DS-2019 generated by the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), which maintains current information on exchange visitors.

Below is the procedure for obtaining a JKCP-sponsored J1 visa.

      1.  Complete the DS-2019 Information Form and return it to us with a photo as soon as you receive an offer of employment. (You will also need two more photos for your passport.)

      2.  Upon receiving your completed form, we will process the DS-2019, pay the required SEVIS fee on your behalf, and mail you the DS-2019 along the receipt for the SEVIS fee. You will need to take these two documents along with your employment contract to the US Embassy when you apply for your visa. (Check with the embassy about other forms and processing fees required to complete your visa application, since these vary by country.)

      3.  Make an appointment with the US Embassy in the country where you currently reside.


Please visit the US Department of State website to locate the US embassy nearest you, book an appointment online, check on the wait time for appointments and visas and to learn more about the visa application process.
We advise you to begin the above process immediately to allow ample time for your visa processing. You will not be permitted to enter the U.S. without your visa.

      4.  When traveling to and from the US, keep your visa, passport, driver's license, employment contract and DS-2019 with you at all times. NEVER SURRENDER THESE DOCUMENTS TO ANYONE AS YOU MAY BE REQUIRED TO SHOW ANY ONE OR ALL OF THEM WHEN TRAVELING BETWEEN COUNTRIES. You will also need to bring a pen, and the following information:

            1.  Physical residential domicile in the U.S
             Haverford College
             370 Lancaster Ave
             Haverford PA 19041-0333.

            2.  US contact person for J-1 Exchange Visitor Program
             Steve Robertson

Who pays for my visa?
If JKCP is sponsoring your visa, the total cost we incur, including SEVIS fee and insurance, is $300. You will be responsible to reimburse JKCP for this fee unless you have made other arrangements with Human Resources prior to submitting the DS-2019 Information Form.

Adobe Reader

Download the Free Adobe Reader to view the PDF documents on this site.