Get Flash
Get Flash


FAQs - Residential and Day Counselors

Camp Information

What kind of camps do you offer?
We have numerous residential camps and day camps in sports, fitness, arts, enrichment and pre-college academics. See our home page for program specifics.

Where are the camps located?
All of our residential camps are located on college campuses in Philadelphia and its suburbs. Most camps are located in an affluent suburban area known as the Philadelphia Main Line. In the summer we call Haverford College, Bryn Mawr College, Cabrini College, and The University of Pennsylvania home. We also have day camps at the prestigious Shipley School. New for Summer 2008 we our offering a Pre-College Program at Princeton University in New Jersey, about 20 miles from Philadelphia. These websites will give you an idea of what the campuses look like. Please do not send any correspondence to those sites; rather, refer to the JKCP website and send any correspondence to or .

What is Middle School Exploration?
This program is devoted to students entering middle school. Campers in this program spend their mornings and part of their afternoons in classrooms learning about everything from cooking to robotics. After instructional time, campers enjoy a variety of afternoon activities like sports, games, trips and special programs that the residential staff is responsible for organizing. Your role during non-instructional time is to provide a safe and fun environment for students.

What is High School Enrichment?
This program is devoted to students entering grades 9-12. Enrichment students dedicate their time to various tracks of study including: Business, Community Service, Computers, Cooking, Fashion Design, Rock ‘n’ Roll, SAT Prep and a variety of other programs. Campers in this program spend their mornings and part of their afternoons in classrooms learning about their chosen areas of interest. After instructional time, campers enjoy a variety of afternoon activities like sports, games, trips and special programs that the residential staff is responsible for organizing. Your role during non-instructional time is to provide a safe and fun environment for students.

What is Canyon Ranch for Teens?
Located at Bryn Mawr college, one of the most beautiful college campuses in the United States, Canyon Ranch for Teens brings the world-renowned Canyon Ranch Resort wellness lifestyle to teens. Each day campers choose from a wide variety of workshops, activities and personal services, including Pilates®, kickboxing, Spinning®, Reebok® Core Board, rock climbing, yoga, meditation, Chi Gong, art expression, sports nutrition, hands-on cooking and much, much more.

What pre-college programs do you offer at the University of Pennsylvania?
We offer the following programs at the University of Pennsylvania: Career Builders, Model UN, WHYY Film Production Academy, Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, Art & Architecture: Summer at Penn, Management & Technology, and Leaders in the Business World. All are for rising seniors. Use the links on the home page for more information.

What is Yesh Shabbat?
Yesh Shabbat is a modern orthodox program offering young observant Jews a comfortable setting among their peers where they can grow in knowledge and understanding of traditional Judaism while participating in a variety of activities like tennis, golf and enrichment. Counselors for this program are required to be observant.

What is Career Builders?
Career Builders is an internship program that gives high school students ages 16 to 18 the opportunity to explore work in a chosen profession while living in a college environment. Interns live at the University of Pennsylvania and work from 9 to 5 Monday through Friday in professional offices or facilities in Philadelphia. They return to University of Pennsylvania in the evenings to enjoy activities with the residential counseling staff.

Camp Life

Where will I be living?
All residential counselors will live in a single or double dormitory room at the campus where they are assigned. Each room has its own refrigerator, fan (if not air-conditioned), closet space and desk. Bathrooms and showers are shared with other counselors and campers on the floor.

What are the campers and counselors like?
Our programs attract American students from as far as Texas, Florida and California, as well as many international students. We draw a diverse population of counselors from America, England, Australia, South Africa, the Netherlands, Germany, Scotland, Ireland, Venezuela, France, Poland and Canada. All our counselors must speak English; although, with so many accents, you may find yourself asking people to repeat themselves often. In general, our counselors are natural leaders who enjoy working with children of all ages.

What is included?
In addition to your base salary, we provide the following for residential staff:

• A private or double room with air conditioner or fan and refrigerator
• 3 meals per day
• JKCP staff shirts to wear during work hours
• Money for meals out when you’re required to work off campus during a meal time
• Admission to attractions you are assigned to attend with campers
• Workman’s compensation
• Transportation from a nearby airport or train station to camp
• Basic first aid by a registered camp nurse

Where can I keep money and/or valuables?
All of our campuses are located in safe neighborhoods, and security on the campus is very good. You will be given a room key upon arrival. It is up to you to keep the room locked as we will not be responsible for property that is lost or stolen from your room. If your room key is lost, you will be responsible for the $100 replacement fee charged by the college.

That said, we strongly encourage all residential counselors to use the safe that is available in each dorm office for valuables such as tickets, passports and cash. Only the directors and the bank managers have access to the safe. The bank manager will be available daily at scheduled times.

Where will I eat?
Campers and staff all eat together in the college dining center. Meals are prepared by the food services staff of the various colleges. The food is varied, from pasta, sandwiches and meat to numerous vegetarian entrées. There is always a salad bar, dessert and cereal table. Every dorm room has its own refrigerator, and you are welcome to use the microwaves on the floor. However, no campers (and therefore no counselors) are permitted to skip meals in favor of a "home cooked" microwave dish. Mealtime is an opportunity to get to know the students at the camp; we suggest you use this time to eat and bond with them.

Where can I do my laundry?
Laundry facilities are available on site. It is not necessary to bring laundry detergent with you. You can purchase detergent at a nearby store.

What if I need medical attention while at camp?
Some of our camps are staffed with registered nurses who are your first point of contact in a non-emergency. We are minutes from an emergency room and a general practitioner.

International staff hired through an agency should consult with their agency about health insurance.

International staff coming to the U.S. on a JKCP visa receive limited health insurance from JKCP, which is valid for the period of your contract. This is not a general health insurance policy, but an interim, limited benefit period, travel medical program intended for use while away from your home country. Unlike traditional health insurance policies, this group program does not guarantee payment to a facility or individual for medical expenses until the insurance company determines that it is an eligible expense. You can, and possibly should, have additional insurance as every visit to a doctor will require a $50 co-pay.

(See Insurance Information PDF form for more details on health insurance for internationals on JKCP visas.)

How do I get paid?
If you are coming to camp through an agency (such as CCUSA), you will be paid a stipend at the end of the summer, in accordance with your contract. Your employment contract will contain specific information about your terms and salary.

How much time off do I get?
You can expect to have one hour off per day for yourself, which you may use to write letters, go shopping, check e-mail (if computers are available), do laundry, read, or just relax. You will also get one day off per week, except for the first and last weeks of camp.

What is there to do on my days off?
The options are unlimited. If you are off on Saturday, the camp trips are an option. If seating is available, you can travel with the campers to locations such as New York, Washington DC and Baltimore.

If you want to venture out on your own, you can take a 20-minute train ride to historic Philadelphia, the birthplace of America and a city rich with art, culture, entertainment and fun.

Want to see one of the largest retail malls in the U.S.? A 15-minute car ride will take you to the King of Prussia Mall with 400 stores, restaurants and boutiques, including eight major department stores.

If you can find a driver, check out the New Jersey Shore, famous for its beaches and boardwalks. Atlantic City (also accessible by train) is the closest shore destination, attracting more than 30 million visitors each year with its 12 casinos and 4.5 miles of boardwalk. For vast, free beaches and great nightlife, visit Wildwood with a world-famous 2-mile boardwalk with five amusement piers, carnival games, souvenir shops, food stands and beachfront waterparks.

Check out these links for more information about Philadelphia and its surrounding suburbs:
  • — All the latest on what to see in Philadelphia
  • — Philadelphia Convention Center and Visitors Bureau, great overview of the city, includes maps and directions.

How can people get in touch with me?
By phone — Although each individual camp will have its own office telephone line, campers and staff are not permitted to use camp phones for personal calls. At each college campus there are numerous public telephones available for use during your time off. We recommend that you use calling cards for these calls. In an emergency you may be contacted through our main office at 1-866-TRY-JKCP or 610-265-9401. A message will be taken and passed on to you.

Mail — All incoming mail goes through our main office and is delivered to the camps on a daily basis. Your personal mail should be addressed as follows to ensure quick delivery to you:

      Your First and Last Names
      Camp Name (e.g., Tennis, Golf, Canyon Ranch, etc.)
      c/o Julian Krinsky Camps & Programs
      610 South Henderson Rd
      King of Prussia, PA 19406 USA

E-Mail — You will be able to access your web-based email only at certain times throughout the summer. This includes accounts like AOL, gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo.

What is expected of me?

What does JKCP expect of me?
Most important, we expect enthusiasm, a positive attitude and a willingness to learn. Even after orientation, we won't expect you to have all the answers, make all the right decisions, and know everything there is to know about camp. But we will expect you to take instructions from our senior staff, who are very knowledgeable about our programs. Your primary responsibility will be to ensure a safe, healthy, fun and instructive environment for the campers under your care. You will need to show integrity, concern for the campers under your care and an interest in their positive development.

How many kids will I be responsible for?
Each program has its own demands. At High School Enrichment camp, for example, you may be assigned eight to ten campers for the week. At Middle School Exploration camp, however, where more supervision is required, you may be assigned six or eight campers for the week. No matter where you spend your time as a counselor you will be responsible for your campers’ attendance at line-ups and meals, nightly curfew and bed-checks, and general state of happiness and enjoyment. Your relationship with your campers will be the most important and most rewarding of the summer.

How is camper discipline handled?
We strive to treat our campers like mature adults and expect them to treat us with the same courtesy. America may not be like other countries with regard to the general treatment of children. Generally, American children are encouraged to be inquisitive, independent and outspoken. Please consider these attributes positively and try to be as helpful as possible at all times. Should there be an instance where disciplinary action needs to be taken, notify your head staff so they can handle it. Your responsibility is to report any problems to the camp director.

What will I be doing while my campers are at instruction?
Every residential counselor has some sort of specialty role that compliments their day. While the campers are at instruction, the counselors do one of three things:

     1.  Help instruct and/or supervise at one of our day camps which operate at a nearby private school campus
     2.  Be a teaching assistant or tutor in our Exploration or Enrichment Camps
     3.  Help with the administration of camp including the operation of camper mail, camper laundry, banking, office work, trip coordination, and activity programming.
We will notify you by phone or email of your camp placement and your specialty role; occasionally these assignments change at the last minute based on enrollment. Specific details about your role will be provided during orientation.

How do I need to dress?
Professional appearance is essential because we strive to convey excellence in all we do. Your dress needs to be meticulously professional. We provide you with JKCP staff shirts, which you are required to wear at all times while working. Tan/khaki shorts, trousers, skorts or skirts are not provided by JKCP but are part of your uniform. Please arrive with enough of these garments to last a few days before you get a chance to do your laundry.

What else do I need to know about personal appearance?
There is more to presenting a professional image than the clothes you wear. We have learned from parent feedback that some body piercings, tattoos and certain hair styles make an unfavorable impression on our campers. In deference to these concerns, our policy prohibits body piercings (other than discreet earrings), tattoos, or unconventional hair coloring or style. If you have a piercing such as a nose ring, we expect you to remove it for the duration of the summer. If you have any questions or concerns about this policy, please speak to us before your arrival at camp.

What kind of training will I receive?
You will arrive at camp one week prior to the campers' arrival for orientation. This will give you time to familiarize yourself with the facilities and the staff, and to formulate a cohesive team before camp begins. Orientation is designed to prepare you for your role as camp counselor and empower you in dealing with camper demands. We will cover everything from camper discipline to first aid to handling campers’ emotional issues such as homesickness. Our goal is to equip you and give you the tools and confidence you need to handle the many challenges of camp life.

Traveling to Camp

What shall I bring?
Summer is hot and humid in Philadelphia (80 F–100 F, 27C–37 C), so plan to wear comfortable cool clothing. Sandals are a good idea only for your days off, but are not permitted with the uniform. Besides uniform clothing (see "How do I need to dress?"), you should bring enough uniform clothes to last five days without washing. You will also want a few extra pieces of clothing for your time off and off-duty nights. Laundry facilities are available on all campuses. Travel steam irons are a great help to keep your clothes looking well ironed.

Soap, shampoo, toothpaste, sunscreen and other personal items are fairly cheap in the U.S. so you don’t need to weigh yourself down with a summer’s worth of supplies.

Electrical appliances require a dual voltage switch and a 2-pin adaptor for 110 volt outlets, which are standard in the U.S.

Internationals must keep the following items with them at all times when traveling:

  • Driver’s license, international driver’s license
  • Passport
  • Visa
  • DS2019
  • Camp contract
  • JKCP contact information (found on the Travel Information PDF form)
  • A pen

We advise everyone to carry essential items in your carry-on bag in case your luggage is lost. Here are some items we suggest you carry on:

  • Return airline tickets
  • Personal items such as glasses, contacts, medications
  • Travelers checks, credit cards and/or cash
  • Alarm clock
  • Valuable items (cameras, personal music devices)
  • One day’s worth of uniform clothing

How will I get to camp?
Our international staff and some U.S. staff usually arrive by plane at Philadelphia International Airport or Newark Liberty International Airport. Some U.S. staff choose to come by Amtrak train to Philadelphia’s 30th Street Station or by Greyhound or Capital bus lines to King of Prussia Station.

You are scheduled to start on the date stated on your contract, which will be with the majority of our staff. Please arrive by 4:00 p.m. local time on that date at Philadelphia International Airport or Newark Liberty International Airport so that we can coordinate your transportation with others who are arriving on that day.

You must complete the Arrival Departure Form and return it to us by April 30th so that we can coordinate your pick up. You must keep us informed of any changes in your travel plans.

Before you leave home, print out the Travel Information PDF Form and carry it with you when you travel. Because flights are often delayed or canceled, we will not send someone to get you until you have arrived. Once you have arrived safely at your destination airport or train station, call Steve Robertson (cell: 484-505-6555) or Michelle Stanfield (1-866-879-5527 or 610-265-9401) and they will let you know where and when to meet your ride. If you get their voicemail, leave a detailed message with information about where you are and a call-back number if possible. If you do not have a call-back number, leave detailed information about your location, and call back in 30 minutes to receive further instructions. This information is summarized in the Travel Information PDF Form.

What if my plans change after completing my Arrival Departure Form?
Please notify Steve Robertson or Michelle Stanfield of any changes to your travel plans as soon as you become aware of them. Prior to departure you can reach Steve or Michelle at 1-866-TRY-JKCP.

Where can I find maps and routes for local airports and train stations?
Simply follow these links:

   • Philadelphia
   • Newark Liberty International Airport
   • 30th Street Station
   • King of Prussia Station

What if I still have questions?
Although we’ve tried to address the most frequently asked questions, you may still have concerns or areas that need clarification. We don’t expect you to know everything there is to know before you arrive at camp. Orientation is designed to answer more of your questions. However, if you have a question or concern that must be answered before your arrival, you may call Steve Robertson or Michelle Stanfield at 1-866-TRY-JKCP or email or .