Get Flash
Get Flash

Connect With Us:


Frequently Asked Questions

Whether your child is going away for the first time or has been going to camp for years, you probably have some questions. These FAQs answer the questions parents and campers ask most often. If you have questions or concerns that aren’t addressed here, please call us at 866.TRY.JKCP and we will be happy to help.

Before I Apply to Julian Krinsky Camps & Programs

How do I choose which JK camp to attend?
At Julian Krinsky Camps & Programs you don’t have to choose just one camp or program! You can build your summer with us. Spend one week at Tennis camp and the next cross-training at GetFit at Enrichment. Or take advantage of our Enrichment program to sharpen your skills before heading to Philadelphia for an Internship. Not sure which program is right for you? Spend some time on our website looking around or or call us at 866.TRY.JKCP.

How can I apply?
You may apply online by clicking the Apply Now tab. Be sure to apply early to reserve your spot!

How do I check to see if there are still openings for the weeks I would like to attend?
Please call the office at 866.879.5527 or 610.265.9401 to check availability. To ensure your spot please apply online today!

What is the difference between the residential, extended day and day options?
Residential students stay on campus for meals, housing, and evening and weekend activities. Day students are on campus for daily programming and lunch only. Day students are invited to join residential campers for dinner and evening and weekend activities at additional costs. Extended day is offered from 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and includes extra activities.

Can I attend if I live outside the United States?
We encourage overseas campers to spend their summer with us. Every summer we are home to international students from over 30 countries. We do, however, incur additional expenses to accommodate the needs of our international students, including round-trip airport ground transportation, specialized staff, laundry and linens. To defray those costs, we charge a nominal $275 per international student.

Where do the camps and programs take place?
Our camps and programs take place at colleges, universities and private schools in and around Philadelphia. You may visit the institutions' individual website to learn more about each location.

Bryn Mawr College was founded in 1885 to give women access to educational opportunities that had long been denied them. Bryn Mawr’s undergraduate college has a student body of about 1,300 women. Its 135-acre campus is located in the village of Bryn Mawr, about nine miles west of Philadelphia, and is widely recognized as one of the most beautiful college campuses in the country.

Haverford is a coeducational undergraduate liberal arts college founded in 1833. Haverford’s 1,100 students represent a wide variety of interests, backgrounds, and talents. The park-like 216-acre campus includes more than 400 species of trees and shrubs, a nature walk, and a duck pond. The varied architectural styles of campus buildings, representing more than 150 years of architectural evolution, give the campus a unique character and charm.

Since the school was established in 1799 by Philadelphia Quakers as a coeducational boarding school, Westtown School has been known for its high academic standards and strong sense of community. The Westtown School excels in academics, athletics, the arts, college counseling, residential life and community service. The school is located 25 miles west of Philadelphia on a beautiful 600-acre campus with a lake, arboretum, farm, forests and meadows.

After Applying

How do I make payments?
Balances, via check, may be made payable to Julian Krinsky Camps and Programs. We respectfully ask that you send your balance in on time to (Name of Program), Julian Krinsky Camps & Programs, 610 S. Henderson Road, King of Prussia, PA 19406.

What will I do on the weekends?
Two to three trips are offered each Saturday. You choose the one you want. We leave on air-conditioned motor coaches after breakfast and return in the evening. Click here for this summer’s schedule, subject to change: Weekend Trips and Destinations. If you need to sleep in, Sunday is the day to do it. Have brunch, then take a trip to the swim club, a baseball game, a museum or tour attractions in Philadelphia, Manayunk or Chestnut Hill.

What time should my parents pick me up at the end of the session?
Departure time from residential programs is on Saturday between 9:00 and 11:00 a.m. Students must sign out with one of our senior staff. Airline and train departures should be scheduled between 9:00 and 11:00 a.m.

Do I need to obtain a visa?
Depending on your home country, some international students will need to apply for a visa. When doing so please apply for a visitor’s visa, not a student visa, and indicate that you will be attending a “summer camp” in the United States. Please contact our office if you have any questions.

Before I Arrive at Julian Krinsky Camps & Programs

What should I bring to camp?
In your arrival packet you will receive a complete packing list including sportswear, sports equipment, linens, and casual clothing. Please leave your jewelry, designer clothing, televisions, DVD players and valuable personal items at home. We are not responsible for any personal items brought to camp. With all the planned activities, you will have very little time to use televisions, iPods and gaming systems.

Can I bring my cell phone?
While we appreciate your family’s desire to keep in touch with you and do not discourage students from bringing cell phones, we also are aware of their disruptive nature. Therefore, we prohibit the public use of cell phones by campers from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. daily. Campers may use cell phones in the privacy of their rooms at any time. Repeated violations of this policy will lead to confiscation of the cell phone until the end of the session.
What time should I arrive at my program?
Please check your arrival packet. Times vary according to the camp you’ve chosen.

How do I get to and from the Philadelphia International Airport and 30th Street Train Station?
Transportation can be purchased to or from the airport or train station for $30, one way, or $50, round trip. Students must notify JKCP of their arrival and departure dates and times after receiving the arrival packet. Since students will be arriving from all over the country and the world, we must be informed in advance of all flight information. If flight and train information is not received two days prior to arrival or departure, we will not be responsible for last minute changes. Students arriving by plane should make their way from their gate to the baggage claim area where a staff member will welcome them. Students arriving by train should meet JKCP staff members at the top of the train platform stairs.

Philadelphia International Airport
Amtrak 30th Street Station

Are we permitted to tip the directors, pros and counselors?
Our pay schedule for counselors and instructors is among the highest in the industry. In keeping with guidelines from the American Camping Association, we ask that you refrain from tipping individual staff members.

Campus and Dorm Life

What will I eat?
The food at camp is typical of a college freshman year cafeteria and students are given the freedom to make their own choices. This may be an adjustment for some. Salad, fruit, vegetables, sandwich deli bar and different hot entrées accompany each lunch and dinner. Daily menus are posted. If you have special dietary needs or allergies, please contact us prior to your arrival. We know students prefer restaurants so we have designated at least one evening per week for an off campus meal. Students are responsible for purchasing all their off-campus meals. Students are also given the opportunity to purchase snacks at off campus activities. The average student spends $25–30 per week on food. In addition, students are provided refrigerators in their rooms. Most late afternoons there is a convenient store run to replenish your stash in your refrigerator. If you are a “bottomless pit” you may want to ask your parents to stock your refrigerator at check-in.

Who should I talk to about my dietary needs?
For any specific dietary needs, questions or concerns, please contact conference services at the campus you are attending. Also, please mark any dietary needs on your medical form so we can best accommodate you.

    Bryn Mawr College:
    Haverford College:
    Univ. of Pennsylvania:
    Westtown School:

How do I get from activity to activity?
Counselors and teachers are stationed throughout the campus area to direct campers to their activities and are always at crosswalks. However, counselors rarely walk students to their classroom as it is generally in the same building or nearby facility.

What time do we go to sleep?
Students are advised to go to their rooms at certain times depending on their ages. As long as they are quiet there is no lights out policy.

What type of laundry services are available?
Each campus has laundry facilities where you can do your washing and drying. You will need to provide your own laundry detergent. On certain campuses coins are needed to operate the machines. We offer laundry service for $25 per week.

Do I have to clean my room?
You are responsible for keeping your private space neat, clean, and presentable. After a hard days work, you will want to come home to a nice space to relax. Hallways and bathrooms are cleaned daily by the colleges.

What happens if I lose my room key?
A $200 room key deposit must be paid before check-in for overnight students. The full amount will be returned at the end of the summer providing the room key is returned and no damage was done to the room. If you lose your room key notify your residential counselor immediately. The locks will need to be changed and you will be issued a new key deducting $100 from your room key deposit.

What happens if I lose something at camp?
If you lose anything, please report it to your counselor immediately and provide us with as much detail about it as possible. Items that we find left behind after a student’s departure are held for three days. Any unclaimed items are donated to charity at that time.

What happens if I am sick or injured?
A nurse, doctor, pediatric nurse practitioner and trainer are always on call. There is a hospital within 10 minutes of all our camps. If you are not feeling well, please tell your instructor or counselor immediately so we can help you feel better faster! If you are seen by our family practitioner, the office will bill your parents directly, not your individual insurance company.

What is your policy on smoking and substance use?

Staying in Touch with Home

Can I receive mail while at camp?
Of course! Receiving mail is always fun, especially while you are away from home. Mail can be sent to 610 S. Henderson Rd., King of Prussia, PA 19406. If your program is at the University of Pennsylvania, your mailing address will be given to you in your arrival packet. Ask your friends and family to address your envelope or package like this:

    Your Name
    c/o Julian Krinsky Camp Name
    610 South Henderson Road
    King of Prussia, PA 19406

Can I receive email while at camp?
We recommend setting up a free Gmail, Hotmail or Yahoo email account before arriving at the program. You will have free time and will have access to the campus computer lab during that time to check your personal emails.

Can I have visitors while at camp?
Parents and guests are always welcome to visit at any time. (Please note that students are generally off campus on weekends.) Please call our office to schedule a visit or guided tour. Only parents and relatives may visit the dorm rooms with the camper.

Can I leave camp with my visitors?
If you would like to leave campus with your friends and family, proper identification and written confirmation from the parent or guardian are required before the student is permitted off campus. For insurance purposes the driver of the vehicle must be at least 21 years old.

Parent Concerns

My child is a first-time camper. How can I prepare him or her for camp at JKCP?
“Summer camp is more than a vacation for children,” says Bruce Muchnick, Ed.D., a licensed psychologist who works extensively with day and resident camps. “As a parent, there are a few things to consider to increase the opportunity for a rewarding camp experience for your child.”

Consider camp a learning experience. This is an opportunity for your child to explore a world bigger than his/her neighborhood and a chance for you and your child to practice “letting go.” Letting go allows children to develop autonomy and a stronger sense of self, make new friends, develop new social skills, learn about teamwork, be creative, and more. This time also allows parents an opportunity to take care of themselves so that they will feel refreshed when their child returns home.

Prepare for camp together. Decisions about camp, like where to go and what to pack, should be a joint venture, keeping in mind your child’s maturity. If your child feels a part of the decision-making process, his/her chances of having a positive experience will improve.

Talk about concerns. As the first day of camp nears, some children experience uneasiness about going away. Encourage your child to talk about these feelings rather than acting on what you think his/her feelings may be. Communicate confidence in your child’s ability to handle being away from home.

Have realistic expectations. Camp, like the rest of life, has high and low points. Not every moment will be filled with wonder and excitement. Encourage your child to have a reasonable and realistic view of camp. Discuss both the ups and downs your child may experience. Your child should not feel pressured to succeed at camp, either. The main purpose of camp is to relax and have fun.

What can I do to help my child deal with homesickness?
This summer, millions of children will get their first taste of independence at a summer resident camp. For many, it will also be their first experience with homesickness. But parents don't have to feel helpless when homesickness strikes. The prescription for camper homesickness is a simple solution of preparation and patience.
Click here for more information.

What should I do if my child experiences a problem while away at camp?
While cell phone use is allowed at Julian Krinsky Camps & Programs, if a problem of any sort arises, campers are encouraged to notify the director of the program immediately. We have found that campers who use this direct communication get their problem resolved in the quickest and most professional manner. Working with the directors on campus is much easier than calling home and having parents try to fix the problem remotely.

We promote communication between students and parents, as this helps overcome homesickness in many cases. However, please keep in mind that JKCP employs an experienced professional summer staff to help your child have a memorable, fun learning experience while at camp.

How are the weekend trips supervised?
Trips are always well supervised. Within reasonable limits, the level of supervision varies, based on the age of the campers and the locations of the trips, for example, a local movie theater as opposed to New York City or Washington, D.C. More specifically, students 12 and under are always assigned to small groups with a designated counselor. Students 13 years and older are allowed to walk in groups of three or more. Numerous “hotspots” are set up so students can quickly find counselors throughout the day.

Where do the instructors and counselors come from?
Drawn mostly from top local schools and colleges, our instructors are career educators who have devoted their professional lives to the educational, emotional and social development of young people.

A separate residential counseling staff stays on the same floor with their assigned groups. They provide friendship, support and guidance, as needed, but students enjoy the freedom and personal responsibility befitting their age. Chosen for their experience and skill in working with teenagers, residential counselors come from across America and many countries around the world, giving the staff diversity and a wide range of experiences.

How are roommates picked?
Roommates are selected according to age, year in school and the answer provided on the student profile form. Students may request a roommate on their application. Room assignments cannot be guaranteed, but we do our best to consider all students’ requests.

What is your cancellation policy?
Notification of withdrawal must be made in writing to Julian Krinsky Camps & Programs (JKCP). Refunds will be made as follows:

  • Withdrawal by May 1: All but $300 per week
  • Withdrawal by May 2 and later: No refund without cancellation insurance

We recommend cancellation insurance to protect against unforeseen circumstances, sudden illness or injury to you or a family member, or a change in travel plans. JKCP offers cancellation insurance that provides a refund of all but $300 per week. The price of the insurance is 5% of the total tuition fee and must be paid at the time of application. There will be no refund of tuition after May 1 if cancellation insurance was not paid in full at the time of application. Even if cancellation insurance is paid for, there will be no refund for a student who is asked to leave the program for the use or possession of tobacco, drugs, alcohol and/or weapons or whose conduct is detrimental to the program. These decisions are at the sole discretion of JKCP.

How much spending money should my child bring to camp?
The amount of spending money you send with your child is at your discretion; you are the best judge of your child’s spending habits. However, we suggest that students bring approximately $75–$125 per week for laundry, laundry service, off-campus meals, snacks, dry cleaning service, and personal expenses. This money should be sent with the student in the form of a debit or check card.
Why is JKCP not accredited by the American Camp Association?
For a fee, the voluntary ACA accreditation process evaluates the cleanliness, safety, food services and emergency management services of camps across the country. Because our programs are located on suburban or urban college campuses that must meet the strict guidelines of the US Department of Education and the local Department of Health, we are guaranteed to meet these standards. In addition, we follow all emergency and safety procedures laid out by the campus and local authorities.

Tennis and Golf

Is your tennis program run at indoor or outdoor courts?
While most of our tennis classes are taught on outdoor courts, a percentage of your on-court time is scheduled indoors. This is an opportunity for students to take a break from the summer heat and sun. When it rains, everyone plays indoors. Inclement weather does not postpone our program. If you sign up for a full week of tennis, you will get a full week of tennis.


How can I become a JKCP employee?
If you would like to become a residential counselor, director, coach, nurse or teacher at JKCP please visit the Employee section of our website.